Thursday, March 10, 2005

the necessary "evil" of patience...

If you know me, you must admit that I am not a patient man. For one, I am action oriented. I want to get things done and get things settled in as quick and efficient manner as possible. I don't like waiting for something to just happen. Second, I'm a guy. Combined with the first one, I have a real hard time with patience. I want answers and I want them now!

It's ironic, now, that God is using so many situations to teach me patience. One example is what to do after I finish here at Boyce. There is a plethora of options open to me from just taking a break for a year or so to hitting the International mission field for two years. Even with having more than seven months to really decide, I want to know now! I want to know where God has me going so there will be no surprises. I want to know His will and know it NOW.

[Un]fortunately for me, God doesn't work on our timing. His plans come in His timing and His timing alone. That means you and I have to (perish the thought) wait. For me, that's the hardest thing to do. I don't want to wait. I don't want to wait on anyone's timing but my own--it's the selfish flesh in me. Yet, God desires us to wait.

The waiting room is where we learn to trust God more fully. It's where we learn to rest in Him before we walk in Him. It's where we begin to fervently seek Him and push into Him. It's where God prepares us for obedience so that we will obey regardless of whether the outcome is what we want or not. Patience draws us closer to Him and the Spirit uses it to conform us to the image of Jesus as we wait with Him.

No matter how much I hate waiting and being patient, I am loving what God is doing in my life through waiting and being patient. I guess I don't mind waiting a little longer, then. God will direct our steps...even if it is one step at a time.

until Christ is formed in us...

--mike
-----
sitting in the waiting room of silence

waiting for that still soft voice i know
offering my words up to the rooftop to Your heart
trusting that this closet's where You are

Lord i know if i change my mind
You will change my heart in time
Sovereign Lord this time's from You
so i sit in the waiting room of silence
cause its all about You
--shane barnard
-----

No comments: