Saturday, March 11, 2006

the call of the wild


I'm currently reading through some of William Butler Yeats' poetry--one of my favorite poets of all time. Turning the pages, I came across the first poem I had ever read of his, Lake Isle of Innisfree. I read it and a longing to leave the hustle of a city and the busy-ness of my modern life and traverse to Innisfree welled up inside of me.

Imagine awaking to a scene like this, the sun cresting over the mountains, burning through the fog and reflecting off the lake. Your breath is taken away by the beauty of it...and you sit; speechless at the morning beauty God has created and brought to you this morning.

I will arise now and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight'’s all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of linnet'’s wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart'’s core.

until Christ is formed in us...

--mike

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is a beautiful picture and would be a beautiful scene to wake up to! I can honestly say I was blessed to grow up where I did because there were so many beautiful places to get away that were peaceful and were a breathtaking example of God's beauty! Maybe when its not winter I can show you some of them! hehe