Friday, March 03, 2006

lent

Lent is here. I don't mean little bits of fuzz found in one's belly button, by the way. Lent is a time of fasting the forty days before Easter, set aside so one can reflect upon the Passion and Resurrection. I think it is a discipline/practice/tradition lost in most Protestant churches--especially Baptists. Fasting in general is a lost art within most of our churches. We say it is for monks, Christian or Tibetan we cannot remember.

Several years ago I was introduced to the whole concept of fasting and Lent. It seemed foreign, but strangely mystical to me (is that redundant--strangely mystical?). Originally, I must confess, I practiced it because it seemed like something cool to do; somewhat different than what the other Christians I knew were doing. Yes, I got called Catholic by many, including my Pastor at the time. This, I think, though, made me want to observe it all the more and fast in more exotic ways and from other things. I've fasted from television, movies, meat, all beverages except water, etc. I've had a friend fast from processed sugar before--I wasn't sure she was going to make it at times!

This year, beginning this past Ash Wednesday, I began another time of fasting before Easter. My goal is not to brag or become a Super Christian or get in touch with my ancient, vintage Christian roots. My goal is simply to fast; to go without something, replacing it with a greater devotion to God, His Word and my relationship to Him.

It's not to late to begin, you know. Well, actually, it somewhat is. Ash Wednesday is several days past, but feel free to join me in this fast until Easter Sunday. No pressure, of course.

until Christ is formed in us...


--mike

No comments: