Friday, January 04, 2008

good idea, bad idea....

Good idea: Roasting a pig for the holidays.
Bad idea: Roasting a pig for the holidays...with a space heater.

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- A man's effort to keep his pig warm during Wednesday night's freeze ended up starting a fire that caused about $50,000 in damages to his St. Johns County home. Firefighters were called about 10:20 p.m. when a home on Frances Avenue caught on fire. They later learned the homeowner brought his pig onto the porch and put out a space heater to keep it warm. The pig apparently knocked over the heater, which started the fire, according to St. Johns County Fire-Rescue investigators.

Firefighters said the fire destroyed the back porch and gazebo were destroyed and the fire had spread to the eave and attic before they were able to get it under control.

While everyone who lives in the home got out safely, the pig died in the fire.

No comments: