Wednesday, February 23, 2005

what the heck?

I just read an interesting news story and had to talk about it. A thirteen year old boy was suspended for ten days for threatening to shoot someone...with a rubberband. Yes, I'm being serious. I nearly fell out of my chair when I read it, thinking it had to be a joke. No, though, it was the truth.

What are schools coming to? I understand a desire for safety--trust me, I was a youth pastor during the Columbine assault, but isn't this taking it overboard? I want students to be safe. I want them to be secure. I remember everytime something happened at my high school. It's hard to learn when you are constantly looking over your back. For goodness sake, though, it's a rubberband. Is he gonna take an eye out? Suspend him...in fact, let's expel him. That's ridiculous. Our schools have worst punishments than our nation's prisons. Go figure!

No comments: